rb

Saturday, June 21, 2008

iPhone or HTC diamond?

As some may have known, I recently traded in my nokia e65 for a htc diamond.

It was with some apprehension that I bid the e65 goodbye, as it had served me well as one of my better phones even though it was a rushed purchase, someone having knicked my N70 earlier... bloody ass.

Especially the switch over to a non-keyboard phone. I'd heard stories from friends about how their phones would magically drop calls or send tons of blank smses as their phone screens reacted to being placed against their ears.

But still, I went ahead with the htc diamond. Who wouldn't, after looking at what it looks like?

Before all the apple fanboys come crawling out of the woodwork and say "WHY YOU NEHBER WAIT FOR THE IPHONE. SO GOOD SO CHEAP I'M GOING TO GET A FREAKING ORGASAAAAAARRRGHHHHHHHHH"

Let me just say I considered. And rejected. Why?

#1. Size. The htc diamond manages to squeeze everything into such a small form factor, slim enough to fit into a guy's pocket. Note that this is a very important criteria for guys. There should only be ONE bulge in your pants =p

#2. Video calling. Eat your heart out, iPhone. Last I checked, the iPhone version 1.0 couldn't even accept contact cards. This might have changed by now. By the way in that small size the htc diamond squeezes in both a 3.2mp camera (vs iPhone 2mp) AND a vga camera in front.

#3. Bluetooth. Now this is freaking important. Apple fanboys will say "for what! You can always email the file!". Eh ello. Not everyone has UNLIMITED access to internet what. Even if you do, others may not. Besides bluetooth transfers are free.

#4. Software. "Huh?" I can almost hear you say. Isn't Apple software more user friendly? Well... MAYBE. HTC's done a pretty darn good job of making the WM interface easy to use. seriously. But also, WM's been around longer so there's more software to find.

#5. Research available online. Try googling for "Apple" and "snob".

And yeah yeah I know whatever I say isn't going to convince the Apple Brigade that their phone isn't the best thing since sliced bread. But I'll say it anyway. I'm not saying that the iPhone sucks. I'm just pointing out why I chose the htc diamond over the iPhone.

But anyway the htc diamond has to be one of the best smartphones out there at the moment.

Other than the reasons above, I was also rather impressed with the demos available on youtube about not only the interface but also the durability of the phone.

Of course things are not always a bed of roses.
Here's the cons of the phone, in no particular order.

#1. Interface can lag slightly. Tweakable in registry, but I'm ok with the current settings and I don't wish to deplete my batteries any quicker.

#2. Short battery life. Let's face it. You can't eat your cake and have it too. I do wish they'd provided a more powderful battery though.

#3. No camera flash (neither does the iPhone). But a powerful flash like the Xenon brands only serve to kil your battery quicker. Between having a camera and a phone I'll choose the phone any day.

#4. No expandable memory. If you're like me, then 4GB of internal storage is plenty. However 4GB isn't quite enough for a whole ton of games, music, videos AND pictures.

#5. Earpiece port is not the standard 3.5mm jack, meaning you'l have to use the earphones provided.

Think that's all I can think off now, am bloody tired after a super long week..

So.. goodnight!

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • cool.. did u check out the samsung omnia?

    By Blogger espieee36, at 7:57 AM  

  • Hello,

    My name is Marion Bishop and I'm the webmaster of www.pinhole-glasses-direct.com

    Would you be interested in writing an unbiased review of our product?

    If you are, we can send you a free sample of the product which we would like you to review, and it is free of any shipping charges.

    Feel free to contact me at pohsibnioram@gmail.com

    Best regards,

    Marion Bishop

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home